Sunday, January 9, 2011

Vintage Chic Sweateralls

I've been seeing a ton of cute sweateralls on the web, and I wanted some for my Roly Poly. I just adore the vintage feel of them. Well, here they are. Read on to see how this went from ucky sweater to oh so sweet sweateralls for my little E using just the sleeves!!!




Here's a quick tutorial on what I did.

First find a sweater you no longer want to wear. 

1. Cut off the sleeves at the seam lines.


2. You now have you pant legs. lay them next to a romper so that you can cut them evenly at the length you like. My sweater had VERY long cuffs, so I measured from the top of the cuffs of each garment. Set aside excess; you will use it later.


3. Now, you need to cut down the inseams of the sleeves  legs/torso, in order to differentiate the torso area. Again, using a romper, decide what length you would like the pants to be and cut the seam of each former sleeve to that point using your sheers.


4. Pin together the two pieces with right sides facing each other. It will look something like this. Then sew!!!


They should look something like this!






 5. Since the cuffs of my pant legs were sooo long, I decided to use them to make the "collar"/chestband of the sweateralls.


6. You are left with this. 




Cut them open so that you will have two flat pieces. Sew one piece to the front and one to the back of your sweateralls. Then sew up the side seams. (Sorry that I don't have a picture of these steps).


******Oh yes, this also meant that I had to hem the bottom of the cuff. These would be easiest if you had a serger, which I don't, because of the bulk that can occur from the material. Also, the knit can stretch a lot. I ended up with a flared cuff and had to add seams to taper and then trim the excess.*****



7. Now, remember those trimmings that you set aside? Get them back out. They are going to be your straps. Sew them wrong sides out and then turn. Make a button hole. Attach the straps to the backside of your sweater alls




You could sew them like this, cap sleeve style for a girl. Maybe add some lace or something.



8. Sew on buttons to the front in the appropriate places. (Again, sorry no photo of this step).

You are now ready for a fun photo shoot of your little tyke in his new sweateralls. E is saving his for Valentines Day. I am going to pair them with a Tea died onesie and a homemade pink rose boutaineire (at least that's the plan). I will post pictures when it happens.




I love the way my orange water closet looks in photos, even though it tints everything orange. It just made these photos sooo cute. I had to do one laying down on an orange towel so it would match in the sequence.




This post is linked up at:











Photobucket



UndertheTableandDreaming





Visit thecsiproject.com

9 comments:

  1. That is an adorable idea! I love to repurpose items and I don't think you can get much cuter than that!
    Thanks for stopping by to visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome! I am so going to repurpose old sweaters of mine :) I hope my baby's thunder thighs will fit, I better use a sweater with big arms! LOL Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very cute! I love this kind of thing for babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable!! I now know what to do with all these thrifted sweaters!! lol Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them! Thanks for sharing! I am so in love with cozy knit legs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. get out of freakin' town!? you made these?! so, so cool!

    love them! great job. is it weird to wish they had these for adults. they look so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jayna, I simply adore these sweateralls. Super cute and so clever to recycle a sweater. Fabulous job and adorable model! Thanks so much for linking up to The Sunday showcase party - I have featured this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute! This is a great idea for our cold winters. I will be adding this to my to-do list!

    Found you via CSI Link-up, would love for you to check out my blog at http://creativecowgirl.co

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Please let me know what you think and ask any questions you'd like. I truly love all of my comments. I get so excited to connect with the people of blogland.

Share the Love