Here's a quick tutorial on what I did.
First find a sweater you no longer want to wear.
1. Cut off the sleeves at the seam lines.
2. You now have you pant legs. lay them next to a romper so that you can cut them evenly at the length you like. My sweater had VERY long cuffs, so I measured from the top of the cuffs of each garment. Set aside excess; you will use it later.
3. Now, you need to cut down the inseams of the
sleeves legs/torso, in order to differentiate the torso area. Again, using a romper, decide what length you would like the pants to be and cut the seam of each former sleeve to that point using your sheers.
4. Pin together the two pieces with right sides facing each other. It will look something like this. Then sew!!!
They should look something like this!
5. Since the cuffs of my pant legs were sooo long, I decided to use them to make the "collar"/chestband of the sweateralls.
6. You are left with this.
Cut them open so that you will have two flat pieces. Sew one piece to the front and one to the back of your sweateralls. Then sew up the side seams. (Sorry that I don't have a picture of these steps).
******Oh yes, this also meant that I had to hem the bottom of the cuff. These would be easiest if you had a serger, which I don't, because of the bulk that can occur from the material. Also, the knit can stretch a lot. I ended up with a flared cuff and had to add seams to taper and then trim the excess.*****
7. Now, remember those trimmings that you set aside? Get them back out. They are going to be your straps. Sew them wrong sides out and then turn. Make a button hole. Attach the straps to the backside of your sweater alls
|You could sew them like this, cap sleeve style for a girl. Maybe add some lace or something.|
8. Sew on buttons to the front in the appropriate places. (Again, sorry no photo of this step).
You are now ready for a fun photo shoot of your little tyke in his new sweateralls. E is saving his for Valentines Day. I am going to pair them with a Tea died onesie and a homemade pink rose boutaineire (at least that's the plan). I will post pictures when it happens.
I love the way my orange water closet looks in photos, even though it tints everything orange. It just made these photos sooo cute. I had to do one laying down on an orange towel so it would match in the sequence.
This post is linked up at: