photo 5fa4f53c-9555-45d1-809b-3e537846bb4e.jpg

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Girls Leggings Turned Baby Boy Pants


Last week at my favorite home away from home
TARGET
I found these leggings in a size extra small for $3.24
They are cute, but who is an extra small?
Yay, for you if you are, 
but I was seriously an xs in 5th grade, and never since.

I loved the pattern. They are super soft, and I just saw pants.
BABY PANTS.

Yes!!! That is what I saw.
My Little Roly Poly doing his Army crawl in some fatigues.

I was sold.

Here is how the transformation went.

First I laid another pair of pants along side of them to get an idea on length.


Using my shears, I folded the pants in half and cut at the appropriate point.


Voila!
These actually were ready to go as pants for MONSTER.
Seriously, I held some 3Ts next to them and they were almost identical in size.

I wasn't sewing for him though.
So, on to the next step.

Narrowing the legs.


This was a simple flip the pants inside out pin to size
 (in my case about 1 1/2 inches and stitch up the outside of the legs.

Then I narrowed the inseams.
Again just pick a width based on your example pants
and get a sewing.


Since I don't have a serger a pinked the edges.

All that's left is to make the cuffs.

Okay, here's the part I hate.
Seriously, I hate it.

I had to get out my iron.
I folded up and pressed about 1/4 inch.
Then repeated so that the seam would be nice and clean.

Then back to the machine to stitch.
I sorta did the first one wrong.
I don't know how, but I forgot how to best hold the garment.
Anyway, like this is best.

I did two rows of stitching for each hemline.
It looks nicer and gives some extra hold.

Clip all those loose threads.
That's the other part I hate.
Really, Sometimes I don't do it.
I just want to be done.
Then I have to go back when it's time to wear the piece and do it.

I suggest just getting it done and over with.

Here is the finished product in action.




That's my little GI JOE.

I love him.




5 comments:

  1. Hi there- you asked about the $3/1 Tide coupons. There was one in the PG coupon insert in this past Sunday's newspaper. Some coupons are regional but I *think* that one was universal. I buy several Sunday papers- actually I found a great deal to have them now delivered via Groupon for about $0.25/each rather than the $2 I was paying for them. I also have a neighbor who gives me her coupon inserts because she doesn't use them. I hope that helps!

    KK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I seriously love the little leggings and am thinking I need to head over to Target today and see what I can find. My 8 month old is toward the chunky side so this would be a great way to get some pants that fit him (for cheap).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! Nice step-by-step tutorial, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are so cute. I'm your newest follower. I would love it if you linked your project up to my link party on Monday.
    More The Merrier Monday.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's amazing! WHO is that size? hahah

    great job!
    gail

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Please let me know what you think and ask any questions you'd like. I truly love all of my comments. I get so excited to connect with the people of blogland.

There was an error in this gadget