photo 5fa4f53c-9555-45d1-809b-3e537846bb4e.jpg

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Duvet Cover Turned Curtain Panels

THIS POST HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY POSTED AT AGAPE LOVE DESIGNS.


We have lived in our house since July of 2004. 
That is almost 7 years.
There are gorgeous real wood blinds on our windows. 
They have made an appearance or two on my blog before.
However, there has NEVER been curtains
on the window in my Master Bedroom.

I just can't seem to decide what I want.
Well, forget it.
It doesn't have to be perfect.
I think searching for the "perfect" thing 
can often deter a person from doing anything.
Case in point.

So, I took my old duvet cover.
This one here with the blue birds.

It still matches my decor.

In fact it is quite similar with the exception of the cute blue birds,
which were what won my heart in the first place.

I mainly replaced it because it has REALLY slightly discolored.

Anywho. This is what that duvet cover looks like now.

Pretty cute, if I do say so myself.
I know it's a lot of pattern, 
but they will be open much of the time,
once I get some tie backs that is.

Oooooh, wait!
Don't they look great as a valance?
Let's see.

What do you think?
Does it work?

Well, let me show you how this process went.
It's pretty simple. I PROMISE ;)


First lay out your duvet cover so that it is flat. You will actually be surprised by how large it actually is.
Next, fold it in half the hot dog way (lengthwise)

Now you are ready to cut.
I am sure measuring would be good too,
but this method actually works quite well.

Now you will have two double dipped (double sided) panels
that are open on one side and the bottom.
The bottom is where the duvet was already open for insertion of the comforter.


Flip the cover inside out.

You may want to pin the edges together.
In my haphazardness, I did not.
This caused me to have to tear out the second panel and resew.
Tedious!!!
Do it right the first time, unlike me.


Next, I stitched up the open sides.
I left a small area open at the top for the rod to slip through.
(Sorry no photo of this step, but pretty self-explanatory)


Then I flipped it back right side out.
I opened some stitching on the side that was manufacture sewn
 for the rod to slip all the way through the top.

Finally I stitched all the way across the top to make the rod casing.

I turned under the edges of the casing and stitched those as well.

Trim the threads.

These puppies birdies are ready to hang.


And here they are one more time!





6 comments:

  1. Great work! Thanks for auditioning for American Crafter- good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great way to repurpose! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how creative!! I love that fabric, and you did a fabulous job of re-purposing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!
    I love the duet cover! Where did you get it!?

    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unquestіonablу consіder that that yоu stated.
    Your favourite juѕtifіcation sеemeԁ tο be at thе іnternet the simplest factor to be awaгe of.
    I say to you, I dеfinіtely gеt irked even as folks сonsider issues that they plainly don't recognize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also outlined out the whole thing with no need side effect , other people can take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

    my weblog :: Royalsundaram Report Writer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Please let me know what you think and ask any questions you'd like. I truly love all of my comments. I get so excited to connect with the people of blogland.

There was an error in this gadget